| Down by the harbor, with the Danish parliament and old stock exchange building in the background |
Visiting Amalienborg, the royal palace, made me wish that we the American government was a constitutional monarchy. The royals are much-beloved celebrities here. Crown Prince Frederik and his wife Princess Mary (an Australian commoner who Frederik met in a bar during the Sydney Olympics) just had twins - it is the first time there have been twins in the royal family since the 1600s and they are on the cover of every supermarket tabloid.
The male heirs to the throne alternate between being named Frederik and being named Christian. In the 1970s, when Margrethe, the current queen was 13, they changed the rules to make it so that women could also be the royal head. In April every year, on Margrethe's birthday, her and her whole family come out onto the balcony of the castle and waves to thousands of Danes who gather to cheer her on and wave Danish flags.
| The Royal Palace where Queen Margrethe and her family live. The flag on top means that Queen Margrethe is home |
| They also change the guards every day at noon here, but the guards are not nearly as serious as at Buckingham Palace |
We learned a great back story about why Constitution Day is celebrated in Denmark on June 5th every year. In 1849 the then-king of Denmark, afraid of a potential uprising, willing signed a constitution transforming Denmark from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy. This king was not able to have children but he did have a mistress, of whose son he was very fond. The public looked down on the king's mistress and so the king purposefully waited until June 5th, the 8th birthday of the young son, to sign the constitution so that his birthday would forever after be a national holiday.
In addition to seeing new sights every day, I am beginning to feel comfortable navigating the public transportation system and walking around the center of the city without getting lost. I recognize popular Danish chains, such as Matas, a drug store, BR, a toy store, and Netto, Irma and Fotex, popular grocery stores. There are also 7 Elevens and McDonalds everywhere.
I am also learning my first phrases in Danish and employing them wherever I can. "Tak", which means thank you, was my first word and I have been trying to thank as many people as possible, even if I have already had a whole conversation with someone in English and there is no hiding that I am an American. I have not yet met anyone who does not stand perfectly understandable English (Danes learn English starting in 3rd grade and German starting in 7th grade), and they are usually willing to help us poor, confused Americans. In my Danish class on Friday we practiced a few basic conversational phrases. "Hvad hedder du?" means what is your name? And one responds by say jeg (not pronounced jeg but rather y-eye) hedder (the d becomes a soft th sound, so this word sounds close to hither or heather) and then one's name. We also learned "Havor kommer du fra?" - where are you from? Jeg kommer fra Boston, USA.
Danes admit that the pronunciation is incredibly difficult for non-natives speakers, but I am having a lot of fun trying. And I finally know what sounds the letters ø, æ and å make, so I am well on my way. Who knows? Perhaps by my next posting I will be able to carry on some semblance on a conversation in Danish.
No comments:
Post a Comment